Trinitarian

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Grandma Evelyn Scheibel's Sewing Machine & Quilt






Grandma Evelyn Scheibel's  Necci sewing machine passed on tto me through my husband's mother Crystal. It is pratially cleaned and as I learn more about it I will adventure into using the cams that go with it. 


These photos are of a Hexigon quilt that Evelyn made on her Necci. She cut two hexes and placed them right sides together with a hexie of quilt batting stitched around the edge a quarter inch and left a hole for turning. She truned them and made sure all the points were just right, then she closed the hole with invisible whip stitch. 



Evelyn quilted each one by hand with quilting thread and very even straight stitches through all three layers.



Then she set them side by side and used an invisible running stitch to put them together. She only stitched one side. As I have made repairs to the quilt I have seen the need to stitch both sides before moving on the the next hexie. 


It is about the size of a baby quilt.



Now I am using scraps from my "Grandma's Fabric Scrap collection" to copy and continue the tradition. I can't think of a more lovely way to preserve the memories of each piece of fabric in the collection. Most pieces are at least 30 years old. Some are newer from my own left overs.












This is Myrtle our fifteen year old kitty that must be near to whatever my project is, whether it is quilting or embroidery.




No comments:

Post a Comment