Trinitarian

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Vintage Quilt: Swallows or Hummingbirds?


Long time no see.  Why so long? I could not manage to find a way around a broken camera and then a replacement that would not cooperate with my computer. And the deeper story is I lost a grandchild in the summer of 2020. Beyond that, we all lost friends and family to a flu that was not managed well. Many of us lost our people to the fast tracked rescue plan that many had horrible reactions to. Then the death of a beloved father-in-law to that rescue plan. 


This beautiful quilt was gifted to me from a beloved friend. It was retrieved from a thrift shop as an unfinished quilt top. it has 9 of these squares and is about 60 x 60 ,  a nice lap quilt. Looks lovely on the back of the small couch.


My friend added the backing and quilted around the swallows on her Singer sewing machine. Looking up the pattern on line, there really isn't one, not that I have found.  They kind of look like four humming birds at a feeder. On-line I've found swallows holding four corners of a kerchief  and ther possibilities.


These blocks were machine sewn together from pieces, not appliquéd. Whoever made them did a great job, they lay really flat.




Some day it would be fun to re-create the pattern and make another version of this quilt, perhaps a queen size. The yellow tone in the photos is from the sunlight coming in a window where I took the photos. 
Have a Blessed Day!

 

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting patchwork pattern. I hope it brings you some cheer after your sad losses.

    ReplyDelete